Skip to content
- The energy that must be overcome in order for a chemical reaction to occur
- Reference: Chemical Process Safety – Fundamentals with Applications, 2nd Ed., Daniel A. Crowl/Joseph F. Louvar
- In practice, reaction rates are often determined by physical processes (e.g. mass flow, diffusion, mass transfer area) as well as by chemical processes. The activation energy observed in these cases is called the apparent activation energy.
- Reference: S2S (safety to safety website: HarsNet, HarsBook, A technical guide for the assessment of highly reactive chemical systems, DECHEMA e.V., Frankfurt, 2002.)
- Science/Chemical Reactivity/Reactive Materials/Kinetic Properties